Monday, March 25, 2013

It Must Be My Magnetic Personality

I've been doing some work for a new guy here who is brand new to the hobby.  After reading a lot of the 40K lore he was drawn to the Dark Angels but didn't want to do what everyone else was doing so he went with Guardians of the Covenant.  We got him the Dark Vengeance set and quite a bit of other stuff to flesh out an army and he has been learning to model and paint and is doing pretty well at it (because I'm an awesome teacher).
Yesterday he brought in his Ravenwing Dark Talon so I could magnetize it for use as either a Dark Talon or Nephilim Jetfighter.  Initially I thought it would be an easy job but the more I looked at it the more I started to worry that it might be too much.  After about 10 hours of work, the magnetizing is done and it's ready for paint.
There are 24 magnetized parts on this thing and it's entirely interchangeable.  I'm actually kind of proud of the way it all came together.

Here it is in the Nephilim Jetfighter configuration:
And here is the Dark Talon configuration:

We just noticed this morning that the model has some Dark Angel iconography modeled on it and we are debating whether to shave it off or leave it.  I voted for shaving it but since some of his other models already have it we might just let it go.

I also have a deal I make with a lot of the guys here that if they want me to paint one of their HQ models for them I will do it for free just to get to paint some new stuff and try some new techniques.  I'm not a great painter but this is helping me get better.  Here are a couple of models I've been working on for him.  They are close to being done but I still have at least 10 hours to go on them.  This was my first go at SENMM (Sky-Earth Non-Metallic Metallic) and I'm fairly happy with the result.  I used a technique that Les from awesomepaintjob showed on his "How to Paint Space Wolves" video.

I'll be glad to be done with these so I can get back to my World Eaters (I know, I keep saying I'll do them) but there is also the matter of the Thunderwolf Lord I posted up the other day.  I started on the wolf the other night but am still waiting for the paints for the Wolf Lord himself.

As always, I have way too much to do and nowhere near enough time or skill to get it all done.

No comments:

Post a Comment